[jboss-dev] jboss i18n and localization (l10n)

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 05:21:07 EDT 2007

Thomas Heute wrote:

>>> PO files are pretty simple:
>>> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html#PO-Files
>>>
>>> Basically they are text files carrying the original text and their
>>> translations made by the translator.  Our translators have tools
>>> for and are quite familiar with working with them.
>>
>> ...but does our (the other part of the Open Source World) community
>> have access to it ? Is it cross platform (linux,windows,mac or in
>> short java ?)
>
> We used po stuff to translate the diffrent JBoss AS guides in French,
> using Mac, Windows and Linux, so yes you have the tools, and i actually
> 'liked' the tools, it's not perfect but better than dealing with plain
> docbook.

ok, cool. any docs that explains the tools without having to install and
run them ?

> The advantages i could notice:
>     - possibility to 'mark' keys as dirty (need rework)
>     - possibility to add bookmarks if i remember well
>     - easy to see what is not yet translated

> But i'm pretty relectant to use gettext for JBoss Portal localization.

exactly ;)

In eclipse it would be against everything else so at runtime it should
be properties.

> Also, it's still a pure translation tool, not something that would help
> you keep your code in sync with the property files for example.

> Now you mentioned tools for Eclipse, i'm curious to hear about. I never
> looked at this. You mentionned an article ? Which one ?

hmm - i thought I had already posted it...anyway:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-i18n/
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Internationalization/how2I18n.html

Most of it is related to plugins, but the externalize strings should be
applicable to any kind of i18n work.

/max