[jboss-dev] AS5.x, AS6 roadmaps

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Mon Dec 22 13:16:52 EST 2008

Regarding EAP5, my suggestion is to stick with Branch_5_0 and continue work there. If at
some point we *have* to consider non-backwards compatible changes, then we can branch off
Branch_5_1 from the latest Branch_5_0. Or even stay with Branch_5_0 if the changes are not
significant.

What are the non-backward compatible changes anyway? That's the real question to ask. If we
are certain of those we could Branch_5_1 now. The key is that we don't want to deviate much
from 5.0.0.GA. Otherwise all the testing and stabilization we have done is lost.

About trunk, I think we should point to AS6 Alpha. To try experimenting with a different
Bootstrap+ProfileService type of setup either create another working branch or an external
project (JBoss Reloaded or whatever) and merge back when done.

I think the key is to keep trunk relatively usable and stable. If we start breaking things
here and there we'll repeat the same mistakes we did with AS5; the whole thing will soon get
out of control.