[jboss-dev] JIRA housekeeping and component tracking

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Fri Feb 29 08:10:54 EST 2008

Adrian Brock wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 17:04 +0200, Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
>> I would also like to propose that we introduce a new JIRA type next to 'feature', 'bug',
>> etc. called e.g. 'Component Upgrade' to mark those JIRA tasks. By doing so, the component
>> upgrades:
>
> Making "Component Upgrade" a subtask makes sense for gather things,
> together under one issue, but it doesn't appear in the release notes.

Yes, the default release notes show only 'standard' top-level issue type, not subtasks.

There was also this other release notes report (a JIRA plugin), that is supposed to show all
(or let you choose which ones) tasks & subtasks, but it is currently broken when you choose
'All' (I've contacted the maintainer):

http://jira.jboss.com/jira/secure/ConfigureReport.jspa?versions=12311913&sections=.1.7.2.4.10.6.9.8.3.5&style=text&selectedProjectId=10030&reportKey=pl.net.mamut%3Areleasenotes&Next=Next

> I've created a top level issue type "Thirdparty Changes"
> such that you can more easily locate the changes in the release notes.
>
> e.g.
> http://jira.jboss.com/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310060&styleName=Html&version=12311604
>
> I guess people could just create individual tasks of
> "Thirdparty Changes" as well.
> Which some might prefer since it lists each change in the
> release notes directly (thus making them look more impressive :-)

I suppose, for simplicity we could get rid of the 'Component Updates' subtask, and just use
the new 'Thirdparty Changes' one.

If someone wants to group those, he/she can create a task and link to the updates using
ordinary 'incorporates' links, instead of subtasks.