[jboss-dev] hibernate 3.3.0 upgrade, slf4j introduction into jbossas

Ales Justin ales.justin at gmail.com
Mon May 5 13:37:01 EDT 2008

> In slf4j, binding to log4j as the logging backend,
> one simply includes an additional jar (slf4j-log4j) and your done;

What is the content of this jar?
We might do something similar slf4j --> jboss-logging --> jdk|log4j.

> I have no clue how jboss-logging works, how it is configured, how it
> plays in environments other than JBoss AS.

In AS you have conf/jboss-log4j.xml, which 'controls' all logging inside
AS env.
In other envs it depends.
e.g. standalone usage of jboss-logging + log4j --> put all 3
(jboss-logging-spi, jboss-logging-log4j, log4j) artifacts on classpath +
log4j.properties and you're done. You code against jboss-logging-spi,
but that picks up jboss-logging-log4j at init, which inits log4j, which
is what gets used as the real impl.

If you could look into slf4j-log4j, and see if we can write
slf4j-jbosslogging, that would be great.
I can help you with any questions, or we can hack that together - after
I find some time off from Emmanuel's jsr303. :-)