[jboss-dev] hibernate 3.3.0 upgrade, slf4j introduction into jbossas

Rémy Maucherat remy.maucherat at gmail.com
Mon May 5 15:12:51 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org> wrote:
> Great, more technical discussion from Remy...  how surprising  LOL

I think at this point you are really a sad person. I don't really care
about the issue personally, you obviously do as you wouldn't engage
over gratuitous comments over it ... Oh well.

The technical points about slf4j is that there's nothing. It is
another logging wrapper, that's it. Anyone can write a new one in no
time, and we would end up with quite a few of my_logging.jar and
my_logging_jboss_logging_wrapper.jar in AS. This particular one exists
only to serve Ceki Gulcu's business agenda, which is to keep the
current splintered logging API market (if people were standardizing on
JUL, he'd be toast ...), so there's no way I can be happy about it.

In the meantime, David's wrapper based idea is practical. That's what
I did in JBoss Web. I was told I should use JBoss Logging rather than
commons-logging, and to support the standalone mode using JUL, I
simply wrote a hardcoded wrapper.

Rémy