[jboss-dev] Re: VFS 2.0.0.CR1

Rémy Maucherat remy.maucherat at gmail.com
Tue May 27 08:44:01 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Ales Justin <ales.justin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tomcat uses the VFS right now (through a dir context implementation,
>> which was very easy to do). The VFS would need an optional case
>> sensitivity option (which would default to case insensitive, and would
>> probably do nothing expect if based on straight files). The best way
>> to implement it is normally to compare the path that is requested with
>> the canonical path of the file (you already quoted the code in the
>> forum topic). I think moving Tomcat away from the VFS would be bad.
>
> Remy, are there some Tomcat (TC) tests that already address this issue?
> I'll try and port the work done in TC to VFS, but I also don't want to
> invent new tests if they already exist.

Yes, there are some tests somewhere in Tomcat. I'll see if I can add
them to the AS testsuite. I'll do some manual testing very soon to see
what happens with the current code (the usual trick is to have a
test.jsp file, and then access it through test.jSp so that it does not
match *.jsp and accesses the source code instead; this demonstrates
that you can get around mappings and security to access static files
directly on a case insensitive filesystem).

>> Another option would be to see if it is possible to hack something in
>> the VFS dir context implementation that Tomcat uses (I'll look at the
>> API that is exposed to see if it is possible).
>
> I think this should be in VFS, since TC is probably not gonna be the only
> one that will face this issue (or is already facing it).

I wonder where else it could be useful. Classloading of individual
.class files maybe ?

Rémy