[jboss-dev] New Break the Build Policy - testsuite - discussion

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Wed Oct 1 12:17:33 EDT 2008

On 10/01/2008 10:35 AM, Adrian Brock wrote:
>>> I vote against this, if my vote counts.
>
> What does voting have to do with it?
> You either have a persuasive, reasoned argument or you don't.
> "I don't like it" isn't an argument. :-)

Good thing I didn't make that argument then. :-)

>> Just roll it back, you
>>> don't need a branch.
>
> The purpose of the branch is so that
> the person that broke the build can get help when they
> don't understand why it broke.
> Or when concurrent commits conflicted with each other.

Well I still think that isn't necessary.

Bob: Hey Fred, your commit 28374 broke the build, so I reverted it with 29102.
Fred: Ok.  I need help figuring this out, can you look at it for me?
Bob: Ok
(Bob types "svn up -r28374" and does some testing)
Bob: You forgot to frobnicate the blorgsnaffle.
Fred: Oh, ok.  I can fix that.
(Fred types "svn merge -r29102:29101 ." to undo the revert, or at his
option, "svn merge -r28373:28374" to re-do their commit, and subsequently
frobnicates the blorgsnaffle)
(Fred commits)
Fred: Ok, fixed in 29152.

> It's really upto the person that needs help with the commit
> whether they branch from the rolled back revision
> or create a branch from the most recent revision and
> re-apply their patch.

OK, I'd say it's up to the fixer to create the branch if needed.

> The important part is that don't just keep recommitting it
> to trunk or a stable branch
> which potentially stops everybody else from working.

OK, I agree with this point.

>> The original committer can use "svn merge -
>>> rXX:YY" to re-merge the change in their local tree.  We already have
>>> an awful lot of branches as is.
>
> You can't get somebody else to look at the problem if it only
> exists in your local tree.

Well they can easily do the same thing though.  Or roll back to the broken
version.  The thing I want to emphasize is that the burden should be on the
breaker, not the one who reverts the patch, to do the extra branching and
testing and so on.

- DML