[jboss-dev] JBoss Bootstrap, Embedded & Reloaded

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 05:29:11 EDT 2009

Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
> But nowhere is there a discussion on what Embedded should do and should
> look like from a user point of view.

Because Embedded as previously defined has since been split into a
series of independent features (as mentioned in posts to this Thread).
The pure in-JVM nature was easily enough provided by:

* Splitting jboss-bootstrap out of AS
* Making some standalone usage for it

This does not yet address Bill's hitlist:

* Embedded Distribution as a unified JAR
* Configuration Overrides
* Minimal Profiles to start or on-demand

But we need a good starting point to enable in-JVM testing for AS5, and
a solid base upon which to build the next few features.  IMO biting too
much off at once very quickly puts us at a dead end.

Regarding jboss-bootstrap:

As I'd mentioned, the user API leaves room for improvement, and there
are a series of ClassLoading assumptions that we're addressing:

http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4223913#4223913

So Bootstrap continues to be the foundation, and as Carlo mentioned, a
new "Launcher" component becomes the user view for Embedded, Reloaded,
and AS.  From here we may support POJO Server start/stop/deploy/etc.

With some working prototypes committed over the next couple days there
will be some more to discuss from my end.

S,
ALR

--
Andrew Lee Rubinger