[jboss-dev] Accelerated 5.1 Timeline (New Dates!)

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 15:14:48 EDT 2009

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> Anyone care to comment on this ?

Sure

> You won't get much tooling support if you are ignoring our mails about
> how to improve it ;)
>
> /max
>>
>>> I guess, now!
>> We won't be around much before after eclipsecon ;(
>>
>> But lets get it started at least.
>>
>> Any way to get a "restfull"/non-binary-dependent API to a running
>> appserver/profileservice ?

So in the short term we are going to provide the JMX interface for 5.1,
which will be BC for the 5 series, however later on we could add a REST
API (perhaps in 6).

Another option, which Dimitris recently asked about, is using the native
JDK JMX protocol, which would remove any dependency on client libs.

http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4222988#4222988

>> or is there a client only api/jar set for profileservice that won't
>> change or at least be backward compatible going forward
>> so tooling won't break when a new AS or EAP release comes out ?

The profile service is intended to be backwards compatible for major
releases, once it is finalized, however it would still require client jars.

>> Any way for the profileservice to provide deployment-local
>> exception/error/debug info  ?

Last this was discussed, I believe the work was quite involved. David
had an open question about how the architecture should work here:

http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4211555#4211555

--
Jason T. Greene