[jboss-dev] JBoss Bootstrap, Embedded & Reloaded

Stan Silvert ssilvert at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 07:20:34 EDT 2009

Bill Burke wrote:

> David M. Lloyd wrote:
>> Guys, modularization is one thing but it's critical that we think
>> about the API that the end-user will actually end up using.  If it's
>> not easy to use, nobody will use it, period.  That equals failure in
>> my book.  I for one would rather use an API like Emmanuel suggested
>> than all the dozens of different metadata classes and the ugly MC
>> deployer API.
>>

> I think following these steps would do well in figuring out hwo you
> want the API to look:
>
> * How hard is it to use within Eclipse?
> * How hard is it to use within Intellij?
> * How hard is it to use with a unit test for, EJB + JPA + JCA?

It needs to be easier than using Cargo.  Right now I can use Cargo to
start/deploy/test/stop.  I do that every day from both Maven and Ant.  I
don't need to use any API at all.

The problem is that Cargo is slow because it has to copy a new
configuration.  Embedded should be faster.  If it's not faster and
easier to configure than Cargo then you've lost.  Note that this might
just mean having JBoss Embedded as a Cargo-supported container.

Stan