[jboss-dev] JBoss Bootstrap, Embedded & Reloaded

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 07:33:56 EDT 2009

Stan Silvert wrote:
> Bill Burke wrote:
>>

>> David M. Lloyd wrote:
>>> Guys, modularization is one thing but it's critical that we think
>>> about the API that the end-user will actually end up using.  If it's
>>> not easy to use, nobody will use it, period.  That equals failure in
>>> my book.  I for one would rather use an API like Emmanuel suggested
>>> than all the dozens of different metadata classes and the ugly MC
>>> deployer API.
>>>

>> I think following these steps would do well in figuring out hwo you
>> want the API to look:
>>
>> * How hard is it to use within Eclipse?
>> * How hard is it to use within Intellij?
>> * How hard is it to use with a unit test for, EJB + JPA + JCA?
>>
> It needs to be easier than using Cargo.  Right now I can use Cargo to
> start/deploy/test/stop.  I do that every day from both Maven and Ant.  I
> don't need to use any API at all.
>
> The problem is that Cargo is slow because it has to copy a new
> configuration.  Embedded should be faster.  If it's not faster and
> easier to configure than Cargo then you've lost.  Note that this might
> just mean having JBoss Embedded as a Cargo-supported container.

Could you link to some example of the JBossAS Cargo plugin where you use
that API?  Even better if its something I can easily run.  I've not used
Cargo standalone yet (only via the Maven2 plugin, which prompted me to
make the JBossAS Maven Plugins, a wrapper around server-manager).

S,
ALR

--
Andrew Lee Rubinger