[jboss-dev] Re: [jbosstools-dev] JSR-77 Summary

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Apr 14 07:14:18 EDT 2009

> Before, when we discussed the JMX option, and the potential for a REST
> API, I was working under the assumption that tools only needed a basic
> set of operations.
Yes, basic:

List deployed apps/modules/resources
Stop/start apps/modules/resources
Deploy/hotdeploy apps/modules/resources

> Once this thread started talking about JSR-77 management functions,
> this to me says the profile service is the way forward.
Because we don't know of any other API we can use to get information.
> As to the tomcat API, I don't see how it provides anything close to
> JSR-77.
The tomcat API provides the 3 things from above afaics.

/max

>> Neither JSR-77 or JSR-88 are going to be part of EE in the future.
>>
>> The profileservice certainly is available remotely, but I thought we
>> were focusing on the hotdeployment jmx based api as discussed in:
>> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-6330
I have asked *many* times now and *noone* have been able to show me
Profileservice being available remotely without a very *tight* dependency
on the exact version of AS plus noone have been able to tell us the
dependencies we need (except a very fuzzy maven dependency set which
were *big*
and unique per version).

If the tools have to be updated every time there is a minor release then
this is a very fragile system to depend on.
>> If we want this mapped into a resty type api ala the tomcat then that
>> needs to be defined.
If there is some other API we can use great, but a resty type API sounds
to me like the best and only option that would not be fragile.

/max