[jboss-dev] Re: [jbosstools-dev] JSR-77 Summary

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Mon Apr 13 15:39:12 EDT 2009

Before, when we discussed the JMX option, and the potential for a REST
API, I was working under the assumption that tools only needed a basic
set of operations. Once this thread started talking about JSR-77
management functions, this to me says the profile service is the way
forward.

As to the tomcat API, I don't see how it provides anything close to JSR-77.

Scott Stark wrote:
> Neither JSR-77 or JSR-88 are going to be part of EE in the future.
>
> The profileservice certainly is available remotely, but I thought we
> were focusing on the hotdeployment jmx based api as discussed in:
> https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBAS-6330
>
> If we want this mapped into a resty type api ala the tomcat then that
> needs to be defined.
>
> Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> Anyone out there listening ?
>>
>> Should we just drop this idea of having good remote control over AS
>> from tooling ?
>>
>> /max

>>> So we should not even consider using it for remote access ?

>>> Sure, but profile service is not available to us remotely.
>>>
>>> Btw. I don't consider any of the things we want to do very advanced -
>>> we don't want to be another JON.
>>>
>>> Something basic and simple as i.e. Tomcat Management API would be
>>> enough for us afaics.
>>>
>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/manager-howto.html
>>>
>>> It provides a simple http api to list, start/stop/undeploy
>>> applications/resources (both local and remote resources)
>>>
>>> btw. this is not just for *us* this is for the greater good of AS :)
>>>
>>> /max

Jason T. Greene