[jboss-dev] Announcing Infinispan - open source data grids

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Thu Apr 30 06:08:19 EDT 2009

Apologies for hijacking this list, I thought some of you may be
interested in this!  :-)

I've just announced a new open source data grid project - Infinispan.

	http://infinispan.blogspot.com/2009/04/infinispan-start-of-new-era-in-open.html

Why is Infinispan sexy?

1. Massive heap - with consistent-hash based distribution, and a
configurable amount of data redundancy, the collective memory of all
nodes in a grid is exposed and addressable via a single data structure.

2. Extreme scalability - communications are based on peer-to-peer
design, where nodes speak directly to one another.  No single point of
failure or bottleneck.

3. Very fast and lightweight core - using state of the art lock-free
and synchronization-free algorithms and data structures wherever
possible.  Lighting fast even for LOCAL mode as a result!

4. Not Just for Java (PHP, Python, Ruby, C, etc.) - on the roadmap is
a server module that speaks the memcached protocol.  As such, in
addition to being a distributed drop-in replacement for memached, we
also leverage memcached's plethora of client libraries.

In addition to announcing the project, our second alpha is now
available for download along with a nifty GUI demo:

	http://www.jboss.org/infinispan/downloads

Give it a whirl, I'd love to hear your feedback!

Cheers
--
Manik Surtani
manik at jboss.org