[jboss-dev] Maven and non-existent versions of jboss-cache artifacts

Paul Gier pgier at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 11:01:28 EST 2009

Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2009, at 10:54, Juraci Costa wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> Is there anything I can read about how we publish artifacts to the
>> main maven repository and maybe suggest some change to that? I'm
>> asking that because it is not the first time I see a mismatch between
>> version numbers in the public maven repository. So, if we follow some
>> guide when publishing it to the main repository, we need to make
>> certain to not use SNAPSHOT (which are temporal, AFAIK), and use GA's
>> instead.
>>
>> Example:
>> Hibernate tag 3.3.1.GA points to jbosscache-core 2.1.1.GA
>> https://svn.jboss.org/repos/hibernate/core/tags/hibernate-3.3.1.GA/cache-jbosscache2/pom.xml
>>
>> JBoss Cache core 2.1.1.GA says that its parent is
>> jbosscache-common-parent 1.3-SNAPSHOT
>> http://repository.jboss.org/maven2/org/jboss/cache/jbosscache-core/2.1.1.GA/jbosscache-core-2.1.1.GA.pom
>>
>> But it doesn't exists. Only 1.3 or 1.4 are available.
>> http://repository.jboss.org/maven2/org/jboss/cache/jbosscache-common-parent/
>>
>> To fix a local build, I can change my local
>> jbosscache-core-2.1.1.GA.pom to point to jbosscache-common-parent 1.3
>> or 1.4, but we would also need to change it on our Hudson machines.
>> Although possible, this sounds wrong, as the builds should be
>> reproducible without manual changes to the environment :-)
>
> jbosscache-common-parent 1.3-SNAPSHOT does exist, but only in the
> snapshots repository and not in the main repository.
>
> I know we shouldn't be using snapshots but this had somehow leaked
> through when 2.1.1.GA was cut.  If anything though, you should be using
> the latest and greatest of the 2.x series (2.2.1.GA), but again I know
> that that would depend on potentially a new Hibernate release, etc.
>
> --

Hey Manik,

I think updating this pom to point to the correct parent is the best thing to
do.  Since you are not changing the jar or any dependencies I don't think there
will be any problem.

Also, we're still not syncing with the central maven repository, so you don't
have to worry about you're changes affecting any other repos.