[jboss-dev] Include Web Beans RI in next JBoss 5 release

Andrew Lee Rubinger andrew.rubinger at redhat.com
Sun Jan 18 19:28:14 EST 2009

Comments inline.

Jason T. Greene wrote:
> Carlo de Wolf wrote:
>> That's the reason why we're working on the EJB3 plugin. It works in a
>> similar manner to the WB RI update. Use ant to patch AS.
>>
>> In future this is going to be handled by the patching functionality of
>> the Profile Service. It'll be backed up by a Maven repository where
>> it'll download the version of a bundle/package specified by the
>> administrator.
>
> Ugh, I really hope we reconsider integrating maven's buggy codebase into
> AS.

No patch installer has to depend upon Maven itself - Carlo was referring
to our 3rdparty repo used to house binaries brought into AS.

 > Further this kind of thing really only seems useful
> for applying simple support patches, not so much for feature upgrades.

I disagree with you pretty infrequently; this is one of those times.

Feature / module upgrades allow each project a release cycle independent
of AS.

Envision AS as nothing more than a base runtime which supports arbitrary
stuff to be deployed into it.  Some upgrade/install mechanism should be
able to say:

"Install EJB3"

...and then the installer kicks in to:

* Resolve all dependencies (+transitive)
* Ensure compatibility
* Download all dependencies (from Maven2 repo)
* Install all dependencies (libraries and configs)
* Download and install EJB3

Same for update.

> It's perfectly fine for a component library to do their own AS upgrade,

Kinda, but not really.  Because if the upgrade isn't
backwards-compatible with all of the projects which depend upon it, or
if the library demands upgrades to its own dependencies, things get ugly
quick.

So for a component library to upgrade itself, all of its dependencies
must be able to do the same.  Hence the recursive process I outlined
above, and Carlo's explained a bit before (I don't have written record
of where).

> however that doesn't escape the need for frequent AS releases.

Agree.

> Also,
> updating a minor AS rev is simpler for users to manage, and all of the
> components are actually tested together.

Also agree.

Of course, the second that users start adding/changing their configs,
they have to merge their stuff with the new updates coming in, and
that's not always intuitive.  So a user will *think* they have 5.0.1,
but in actuality have a config that more resembles 5.0.0...

S,
ALR

--
Andrew Lee Rubinger