[jboss-dev] jboss-web_5_0.dtd push to jboss.org

Dimitris Andreadis dandread at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 07:53:24 EST 2009

We still haven't found a reliable way to keep the dtds/schemas on the www.jboss.org side
up-to-date.

The dtds/schemas live in different locations in the code, e.g.:
https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/trunk/server/src/resources/dtd/
https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/trunk/server/src/resources/schema/
or
https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/trunk/mbeans/src/resources/dtd/

They might also live in external projects, like the security-config_x_y.xsds.

Then the majority (but not all) are gathered in the JBOSS_HOME/docs/dtd|schema directory.

We could have a process where every time a JBoss AS version is released, the website is updated.

For this to work, I think the following should apply:

1) DTD/schemas are only allowd to change before the final (GA) version in which they are
specified. E.g. jboss_5_0.xsd could be initially published with 5.0.0.Beta1, and change in
5.0.0.CR1, but never change again after 5.0.0.GA is out.

2) Every time a dtd/schema is introduced/modified the change should propagate to all
upstream branches/trunk. E.g. If you add jboss_5_1.xsd in Branch_5_x you need to add it to
trunk as well. And if change it in Branch_5_x (before the 5.1 GA release is out) you need to
do the same in trunk.

3) Whenever the website is updated, we don't cleanup the previous content first, we just
overwrite it with the latest. This is to avoid dtds/schemas coming from other projects
getting lost. Or else we would have to make sure all those end up in JBOSS_HOME/docs during
the build process.

Another issue is that the update of the www.jboss.org site is totally manual now. You need
to contact helpdesk to do the update.

Thoughts?