[jboss-dev] jboss-web_5_0.dtd push to jboss.org

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Wed Jan 21 08:26:07 EST 2009

Dimitris Andreadis wrote:
> We could have a process where every time a JBoss AS version is released,
> the website is updated.
>
> For this to work, I think the following should apply:
>
> 1) DTD/schemas are only allowd to change before the final (GA) version
> in which they are specified. E.g. jboss_5_0.xsd could be initially
> published with 5.0.0.Beta1, and change in 5.0.0.CR1, but never change
> again after 5.0.0.GA is out.

I think I've been silently bitten by this before. My 5.0.0.Beta2 release
suddenly stopped working without explanation (i.e. without me having
modified anything which might account for the balls-up). I 'fixed' the
problem by upgrading to the newly released Beta3 and only later worked
out that the problems were to do with obtaining schemas from jboss.org
(actually, I'm not sure now that the switcheroo didn't happen at the
Beta1/2 transition but you get the point). It's a little unsatisfactory
that beta users may be arbitrarily confounded by this sort of update. We
don't really want to make life any more difficult or puzzling than
necessary for our valuable early adopters.

I guess resolving this would require having (and having the users
include) minor release-specific schemas prior to GA. This has the
disadvantage that it requires users to modify their app code but at
least they can see what is happening.

Otherwise the rest sounds like it works.

regards,

Andrew Dinn