[jboss-dev] Testing Deployers Outside AS

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Thu Jul 8 03:31:15 EDT 2010

On 07/08/2010 04:06 AM, Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
> On 07/07/2010 09:40 AM, Bill Burke wrote:
>
>> I'll be able to boot jbossweb and deploy/test servlets?
>>
> Unfortunately, no.  Reloaded intentionally addresses only the runtime
> and deployment environment (ie. MC+VDF).
>
> For Servlets, etc, you'd need JBossWeb to be installed/deployed into a
> Reloaded base.  Again I point to Carlo who'd prototyped this last year
> in the "Spider" project, but this hasn't gained traction since then.

http://community.jboss.org/thread/34975

Like Adrian said, it would require a lot of work to have it properly.
I took a slightly different approach by importing the existing
components from AS itself.
Unfortunately the dependency is on snapshots, which have died in the
mean time.
Effectively the code is dead.

Carlo
> The reason I bring up Reloaded and the accompanying Arquillian container
> is to encourage projects to do this kind of wiring outside AS.  In that
> way we'll have precertified profiles (collections of deployments) which
> work in isolated fashion.  They'll be able to be brought up on their own
> quickly, and they'll have an easier migration path to AS inclusion.
>
> S,
> ALR
>

>> Andrew Lee Rubinger wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't made too much noise about this yet, but now that it's released:
>>>
>>> The Arquillian testing framework, as of 1.0.0.Alpha2, has a backing
>>> container integration for JBoss Reloaded.  Carlo's originally defined
>>> "Reloaded" as the component which brings together a minimally-running
>>> Virutal Deployment Framework, MC, and jboss-bootstrap:
>>>
>>> http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-13453
>>>
>>> The take-home that our Arquillian adaptor provides is an ultra-slim way
>>> to bring up MC/VDF without any explicit coding and enables testing of
>>> bits like Deployers and other MC beans in a slim manner, outside of AS.
>>>
>>> For instance, I check the postcondition that one of my deployers adds an
>>> attachment to the DeploymentUnit:
>>>
>>> http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/projects/ejb3/components/async/trunk/deployer/src/test/java/org/jboss/ejb3/async/deployer/AsyncExecutorServiceDeployerTestCase.java
>>>
>>> In this way we can precertify that our projects' VDF components are
>>> working before they hit AS.  The test above runs in under 2s.
>>>
>>> I recommend to projects using VDF that we start to use Arquillian as
>>> outlined above.  This is also possible via manual setup, but the
>>> Reloaded APIs are still under change/flux, and hiding behind Arquillian
>>> to do the wiring gives you a much smaller API to manage (not to mention
>>> that it saves you from setting up jboss-bootstrap/MC on your own).
>>>
>>> S,
>>> ALR