[jboss-rpm] Using RPM packaged JBoss AS in different location by different user

Marek Goldmann mgoldman at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 03:40:59 EDT 2012

Hi Doron,

On 04/15/2012 01:20 PM, Doron Fediuck wrote:

> 1. What happens if you change the original JBoss conf' files?
> Let's say you found a bug which made jboss-something.xml not to
> be loaded due to XML error.
> When people will update JBoss, they'll get a fix, but if
> they duplicated the original file (copied, and not sym-linked),
> they won't get a fix. How can they *know* about it?

They cannot. If they copy, they work on their own configuration files
and we cannot do anything about it. User is responsible for maintain
these files after copy. Again, this is only in the case where user works
on non-global directory structure, mostly development time and not
production.

The reason why we copy these files and do not share them because every
change to the AS7 like deploying an app or changing something using CLI
is persisted to the xml file.

> 2. SELinux- any issues on using external files (such as wrong
> context, restorecon, etc)?

Not that I know of, but two things:

1. I'm not a SELinux expert.
2. SELinux policy for jboss-as is being written now.

> 3. If you can provide a simple mklocaljboss script to create
> the minimal needed files&  folders for JBoss to run, that
> will be awesome.

Yes, I'm working on it now. It'll be included in 7.1.0-3.

Thanks!

--Marek