[jboss-rpm] How to run EAP / AS 7 - EDG - RHEV-M / ovirt - SOA-P side-by-side on a rpm based platform?

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 09:44:46 EST 2012

On 02/17/2012 11:31 AM, Carlo de Wolf wrote:
> I would like to come to a common packaging strategy for both RHEL&
> Fedora for the whole AS 7 family and forward that as a recommendation to
> Trevor.
>
> Specifically the issue I want to address is installing and possibly
> running AS 7 and ovirt side-by-side.
>
> Subhendu and Julian put forward Jindrich's proposal of "Dynamic Software
> Collections".
>
> http://jnovy.fedorapeople.org/scl-utils/dsc.pp.pdf
>
> Would it make sense to use DSC as a base strategy?
>
> Who sees any obstacles and possible solutions?
>
> To kick off:
> - interdepencies of DSCs are yet undefined, thus the whole multi-version
> dependency management issue is only lifted to another level
> - /opt is off-limits for Fedora. Can we use /usr/share instead?

it is not about /opt, it is about the entire concept of having more than
single version of each afaiu.
spot?

"Not approved for Fedora Packages
Please note that official Fedora packages must not be configured as
Software Collection packages. Fedora does not permit relocatable
packages, packages using hierarchies that conflict or violate the FHS,
or packages storing files in /opt. This documentation is NOT part of the
Fedora Packaging Guidelines, and is only here should you wish to
generate unofficial Software Collections against Fedora in a third-party
repository."
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SoftwareCollections