[jboss-user] [JBoss Seam] - entity's lifecycle and jBPM

vladimir.kovalyuk do-not-reply at jboss.com
Wed Aug 8 13:18:20 EDT 2007

The question is "Can Seam+jBPM help with implementing entity's lifecycle?"
Let's consider Document as an example of entity that has lifecycle. The states are as follows: Draft, Pending Verification, Pending Approval, Archived.

>From my perspective lifecycle is a graph with states and actions (transitions).
Instance of entity is always in some state, beginning from start-state and ending with end-state. Any action promotes the instance to the next state.
It seems that jBPM provides us with all means we need to implement lifecycle.
(I saw definition where lifecycle was a reduced graph where states were on the line. jBPM can handle this case as well)

My current understanding is as follows:
1. Entity has field lifecycleId, it is essentially the id of process instance.
2. Entity should keep current lifecycle state (for instance as a name of node).
3. Action should signal the process and eventually entity's lifecycle state should be changed.

>From the UI perspective we're on the page where entity details are shown.
There are lifecycle state and possible actions (as outgoing transitions from the state). When user clicks the link with an action the process instance is loaded and signal is sent.

How could Seam handle such a scenario?

View the original post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4072114#4072114

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4072114