[jboss-user] [Clustering] - Re: JGroups timing call inomalities

bstansberry@jboss.com do-not-reply at jboss.com
Mon Oct 19 13:25:30 EDT 2009

"axelerator" wrote : Hi Brian,

  | thanks. That's a good lookout. Also I tested the setup and AS started without any itches and behaved pretty much normally.
  | What I'm nevertheless a bit curious about is the use of synchronous RPC calls (callMethodOnCoordinator) with regards to performance and timings.
  | Since we only use this method here, I'm a bit worried that that's not the "preferred" way to interact. Can you confirm that?

I wouldn't say it's not preferred. Historically a lot of JGroups use cases have been point-to-multipoint(e.g. callMethodOnCluster if done via HAPartition), but there is quite a bit of point-to-point usage as well (e.g. JBoss Cache buddy replication.) You use what meets the requirement of your application.

anonymous wrote :
  | I ask because as far as I know, callMethodOnCoordinator does use JGroups to actually get the master server. Since we only have timings here (especially if there are a lot of calls requesting the same object) by seeing a lot of threads in collectResponse I'm quite curious.

The part of figuring out who the coordinator node is is quite lightweight.

Do you have large numbers of concurrent calls to the same service from each node? Those are going to be executed serially, since JGroups will only allow one RPC at a time from a given sender to be executing in the application.

anonymous wrote :
  | Also, does the JIRA ticket with regards to a AtomicBoolan instead of a ReentrantLock come into play if there are a lot the same calls around?

Please provide a link to the JIRA you are talking about.

Best regards,

Axelerator

View the original post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4261112#4261112

Reply to the post : http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=4261112