[jbosside-dev] Slooow when i changes stuff...

Robert Stryker rob.stryker at jboss.com
Thu Jul 20 14:23:04 EDT 2006

Max:

The big bottleneck in that stacktrace is obviously the following lines:

       ArchiveModuleFactory(JBossModuleFactory).cacheModules() line: 86
       ArchiveModuleFactory(JBossModuleFactory).getModules() line: 66
       ModuleFactory.getModules() line: 133

The problem here is that no matter what I do, I cant get "cacheModules" to
be called more than once in any session. That method should *only* be called
once, at the very startup of the model, and I admit it is a decently
long-running method which goes through the entire workspace looking for
jars.

(I know what you're going to say... why even go through and LOOK for jars
all at once? Why not just respond with a module upon request... and the
reason here is the way I understand WTP to work... the factory has a method
getModules which obviously gets called at random times, so I kind of need to
have all possible modules on hand all the time. But a module, the way I use
it, is basically just a wrapper. Currently all I do is open the file and if
it's a jar, I say poof... you're a module. )

Anyway... as I said before... cacheModules is only called upon startup of
the factory. I've tried deleting projects, adding projects, pasting in
multiple jars at once (which would trigger a whole bunch of resource change
events etc), and no matter what I do, I *cannot* get cacheModules to be
called a second time.

Some more details:

cacheModules is only called if a variable named pathToModule (a hashmap) is
null. This is a field inside my ModuleFactoryDelegate (JBossModuleFactory),
which is an extension point who's constructor is only called once by the wtp
structure, so there's no question here about multiple factory instances
being created without my knowledge, each trying to create their own cache.

The variable itself is protected, and there's absolutely no point in my code
where it is set to null. It starts as null, however once the cache is
filled, it is never emptied or reset. If you dig into it you'll actually
find there's two caches. My own cache in JBossModuleFactory, and the wtp
cache in ModuleFactory. I do reset the wtp cache, but then it just asks me
for a list of modules again, and I send it my current local cache.  I *have*
gotten that scenerio to occur, but I've not once been able to get
cacheModules to be called more than once a session.

Marshall suggests you send me your workspace and a list of repeatable steps
I could use.

- Rob