[jbosstools-dev] Release Process

Marshall Culpepper marshall.culpepper at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 14:36:11 EDT 2007

Hey guys..

I wanted to hash out the release process we're going to use for the
upcoming betas and GAs of JBossTools and RHDS.

Below I've listed what I think should be our release process moving
forward. This is heavily based on the process we used for JBossIDE, with
some changes to accomodate our new QA resources.

1) All top level components (i.e. "jsf", "richfaces", "hibernatetools",
"as", etc) are given a tag. In the case of major releases (GAs / major
functionality changes), we branch instead of tag. In the case of a
branch, we use HEAD of that branch as the tag (any changes needing to be
made during the release process will be just committed to HEAD in that
branch rather than re-tagging/re-branching)
2) An integration build is ran on those tags. If there are any errors in
the build, the offending components must fix any code/bugs and re-tag.
3) All component owners do smoke testing of their respective code (this
is just a smoke test to ensure things are working properly).
4) If there are any problems in the smoke testing, the component owner
is responsible for making the change, re-tagging, and we will re-run the
integration build (coming back to step #2)
5) Once we have an integration build that everyone is happy with, we
will run the release build, and pass that on to QA for testing. Any
problems in this process go back to step #2 for fixing/re-tagging
(though at this point we continue with release builds instead of
integration builds)
6) When QA gives the thumbs up we can make the release. The build is
uploaded to our update site, which receives one last smoke test from
each component lead. (Any problems are fixed/re-tagged/re-tested).
7) Finally we upload the release to Sourceforge, our build server, the
public update site, and make the announcement on forums, blogs, the
download pages, etc.

--
Marshall Culpepper
Redhat Dev Studio, JBoss Tools