[jbosstools-dev] How to keep track of ResourceBundle keys?

Sean Flanigan sflaniga at redhat.com
Thu Aug 7 21:05:51 EDT 2008

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> Anything that prevents users from just checking out our plugins and
> import them into eclipse without any extra weird steps
> will be frowned upon :)

Hi Max,

I'm not following you.  I don't think I've suggested anything that would
affect end-users.  (Although at some point we'll have to work out the
UI/packaging to enable the end-users to install the langpacks.)

Or are you referring to developers checking out the plugins in source form?

It's true that adding i18n will require some extra steps.  It's just a
reality that internationalised software has to be translated at some
point, and thus you have to integrate the development process with the
translation process.  In this case, it probably means using the
Translate Toolkit to convert between translation file formats.

But none of those steps should directly affect the average JBoss Tools
developer.

It's definitely my goal to make everything as seamless and painless as I
can, not to make life more difficult.

I did mention the build server, but I'm thinking now that we (the i18n
team) should probably have a *separate* internationalisation server,
perhaps driven by something like Hudson, which would check out the JBoss
Tools source tree (just the .properties files would do.  Does anyone
know how?), do the file conversions, and finally check in the latest
translations as .properties files.  The translated .properties files
would then by picked up by JBoss Hudson for the next build, or indeed
anyone who checks out the code from SVN.

I think I have been over-explaining, with irrelevant details.  (Or
thinking by writing.)

So please, forget that I even mentioned PO/POT files, or GNU gettext.
It's just .properties files and SVN commits!

Sean.

--
Sean Flanigan

Senior Software Engineer