[jbosstools-dev] How to keep track of ResourceBundle keys?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri Aug 8 02:56:56 EDT 2008

>> Hi Sean,
>>  Anything that prevents users from just checking out our plugins and
>> import them into eclipse without any extra weird steps
>> will be frowned upon :)
>
> Hi Max,
>
> I'm not following you.  I don't think I've suggested anything that would
> affect end-users.  (Although at some point we'll have to work out the
> UI/packaging to enable the end-users to install the langpacks.)
>
> Or are you referring to developers checking out the plugins in source
> form?

Yes, developers is what I care about in this case.

> It's true that adding i18n will require some extra steps.  It's just a
> reality that internationalised software has to be translated at some
> point, and thus you have to integrate the development process with the
> translation process.  In this case, it probably means using the
> Translate Toolkit to convert between translation file formats.
>
> But none of those steps should directly affect the average JBoss Tools
> developer.
>
> It's definitely my goal to make everything as seamless and painless as I
> can, not to make life more difficult.

Good :)

My worry is that our build today is not exactly a piece of cake to get
setup
BUT it at least run on all the platforms that we have developers on
(windows, mac and linux)
then I would be against something that would restrict that since going
forward
I would like to get the build made much much simpler than it is
today....at least
keep that hope alive.

> I did mention the build server, but I'm thinking now that we (the i18n
> team) should probably have a *separate* internationalisation server,
> perhaps driven by something like Hudson, which would check out the JBoss
> Tools source tree (just the .properties files would do.  Does anyone
> know how?), do the file conversions, and finally check in the latest
> translations as .properties files.  The translated .properties files
> would then by picked up by JBoss Hudson for the next build, or indeed
> anyone who checks out the code from SVN.

mkay - if you want to maintain a seperate build for it be my guest;
but what do you do when the properties files get updated by jboss tools
dev ... you would just nuke them or ?

> I think I have been over-explaining, with irrelevant details.  (Or
> thinking by writing.)
>
> So please, forget that I even mentioned PO/POT files, or GNU gettext.
> It's just .properties files and SVN commits!

mkay :)