[jbosstools-dev] Re: some screen shots of the esb project wizard(contains pictures)

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Wed Aug 13 02:08:56 EDT 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 08:17:18 +0200, Denny Xu <dxu at redhat.com> wrote:

>> 1) Why does it say "Modify faceted project" in the header ?
>>
> The wizard header has not been set, since I have not pay attention on
> the details about the label or description, it will be changed later.

Wizards are mostly for noobs and should thus be simple enough to use AND
understand
without descriptions or if the ui is complex have descriptions to explain
important parts
(the screenshot I see looked simple but were not all understandable
without descriptions)

>> 2) There are no descriptions making it very hard to decipher for a user.
>>   e.g. what does "java package name" means on an otherwise completely
>> blank wizard page ?
>>
> In the latest design of the template framework, this page will be a
> users controllable page through a class attribute in the template
> extension, it will allow users to insert a new wizard page.  The new
> screen shot or wiki page will be work out this week.

I'll say this again: Please don't focus on template framework before we
have
a *simple* project creation wizard up and running. Lets do one thing first
that
can give the best feedback instead of waiting for template framework to
fall in to place.

>> 3) Not sure if templating should be the first thing to focus on. Can't
>> we do a pure hello world esb setup first?
>>
> We will provide a template framework(extension points), and some
> templates(including a hello world esb) will be predefined by extend the
> extension point.

Read my previous comment!

>> I'm a jboss esb noob, but those three files are not a "companion" afaik.
>>   Can't deployment.xml cover multiple esb.xml files and are they even
>> necessary in the same project in eclipse ?
>>
> The editor is trying to provide a UI to edit the three files, although
> they are not a "companion", they have associates through Queues
> sometime, and the default fact is: the deployment.xml and
> queue-service.xml are not exist, only after the user edit them, they
> will be generated then.

Just because they refer to the same names does not mean it makes sense to
put it in the same editor.

Again, if deployment.xml can cover multiple esb.xml files what is the
usage of having an editor that
is limted to a fixed set of these files ? (again, if deployment.xml only
works for a *single* esb.xml AND
it is always in the same project then I can see it making sense - but that
is not the case is it?)

--
-max