[jbosstools-dev] Some thoughts and questions about the esp project wizard

Denny Xu dxu at redhat.com
Fri Jul 4 06:53:05 EDT 2008

Hi John

Here is what I am thinking about the ESP project wizard and also some questions.

*1. Project structure*

 I think the project should be look like:
     a. /src/ folder: Java source folder
     b. /ESBContent/ folder: it will contain the following artifacts:
       . META-INF Folder: the folder is used to contain jboss-esb.xml and deployment.xml,
         the folder will be packaged to ESB deployement package
       . lib folder: it is for containing the jars that needed
       . classes folder: the project output folder
       . some other artifacets, such as /jbm-queue-service.xml
/so the structure looks like a Web project, but we should not create ESB project based on the web project wizard,
since the ESB project has different structure and different format of the deployment package, and it need a
unique Module type.

*2. JBossESB facet:*
  The JBossESB facet will be used to configure the project's ESB runtime and ESB version control. The project
structure and some default artifacts will be created when a JBossESB facet with a specified version is configured, so if there is a new
ESB version need to be supported, and the new ESB version has something different from the already supported
ESB version , then we just need to extend the JBossESB facet and add a new facet install class to handle it.

*3. Target ESB Server( maybe Target Messaging product?)*
  Since there are two types of queue configuration files: jbm-queue-service.xml and jbmq-queue-service.xml for
different messaging product. So the project should contain target esb server information.
Here is a topic in ESB forum:
    http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4161447#4161447

Q: do we need to support the older product JBoss MQ or just need to support Jboss server which use JBoss Messaging ?

*4. Integrate with current ESB editor
   *For now, Jboss tools has a editor for jboss-esb.xml, we also can associate the file with the editor

*5. Sample content(Template):*
   Provide a extension point for it. the extension has the following
properties at least :

     * esb version:  the templates will be filtered by the version of the esb facet of the project.

     * description : when user select a template, on the wizard page, show
       the description to the user.

     * template: the template should be the main stuff of this extension
       point, we should determine the format of the template, since it may contain some source
       code and other artifacts such as some ESB config files, so the template may be  an archive file such as a jar
       file or some other sort of it.
     * template install class: to handle some additional operations that template providers want.

*6. Default Artifacts:* If users don't choose any template, some default artifacts should be provided, such as
jboss-esb.xml, are there any else artifacts?

*7. Deployment:* it is also an import part. A module type and module factory should be defined, so the project can
   be packaged by our own way

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks
Denny