[jbosstools-dev] VPE editor

Snjezana Peco snjeza.peco at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:37:51 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have two suggestions for improving performance in the VPE editor:

- lazy Visual Editor update
The Visual editor is updated on every keystroke. I propose to postpone
the update for some time. This means - if a user enters a few keys
quickly, the Visual editor will be updated only once. There is the
org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui.sourcevalidation extenison point within the
Webtools project that can be used for adding this feature. It is also
possible to implement this feature using the code I added when fixing
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBIDE-1479 (we could use 400 ms during
editing; this is the default value for the sourcevalidation extenison
point).

- adding the Link (Synchronize) action to the Visual editor next to the
Preferences, Refresh, Page Design Options actions.
This action would be a check box similar to the "Link with editor" in
the Package Explorer view. It would be checked/enabled by default. In
that case, the VPE would behave as it does now. If the user disables the
action, the VPE wouldn't be updated (VpeController.notifyChanged()
wouldn't be called). This would be very useful when editing large JSP
files. The user could always call Refresh (or check Link) to show the
visual part of the editor.

These features are easy to implement and don't require a lot of changes
in the code.

Snjeza