[jbosstools-dev] Re: VPE editor

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 02:42:52 EDT 2008

>> I don't understand how having a preference will prevent the synchronization issues between
>> the split-view in the VPE editor?
>>
>> -max
>>

> I understood that you were talking about different editors with
> different state of the Link action.

No, talking about what will/should happen when the linking is disabled and user
edits the source part and then jumps to the visual part...can you reliably force an update of the visual part to make sure the two are not out of sync to avoid any internal synchronization issues?

> As to the split-view, the visual and source part wouldn't be
> synchronized automatically when the Link action is disabled.

So what happens when I jump between them?

> In that case, the user would use only the source part (it is possible to
> disable the visual part in order the user not to use actions...).

Ok - so when linking is disabled the visual part will become readonly?

> The user would manually synchronize these parts by calling Refresh. This
> would be used only for editing large files.
> For instance, when editing employee.xhtml (attached to
> http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBIDE-675), I have to wait for a few
> minutes between keystrokes.

yeah thats bad ;(

> In my opinion, it would be nice to have the following feature:
> - disabling the visual part using the Link action
> - editing a file in the source editor (fast when the visual part is
> inactive)
> - clicking Refresh periodically to sync the visual and source part

I agree having that as an option sounds good.