[jbosstools-dev] Re: VPE editor

Snjezana Peco snjeza.peco at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 08:35:35 EDT 2008

Sergey Vasilyev wrote:
> Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>>> Right now we are thinking about if it possible to use caching to avoid
>>> rebuild children tags when we are editing the parent. If the parent tag
>>> has a lot of children tags rebuilding all of them can take a lot of
>>> time.
>>>

>> Sure, but at least waiting a few miliseconds while users are typing
>> in something in the source editor
>> would be an easy way of giving better performance - correct?
>>

> Of course.
>>> In my opinion after we have separated source and visual editors to
>>> reduce time to rebuild visual part a user can simply switch to source
>>> tab, and there is no necessity in check box link/unlink to visual
>>> editor.
>>>

>> So does this work now ? If I go to the source-only tab will the
>> visual editor stop listening ?
>>
> It doesn't work in such manner, but we are going to have it. :)
>
> /sergey
>> /max

I have tried to edit in the Source tab. The nofitifyChanged method is
called, but it doesn't do anything.
The following is at the beginning of the notifyChangedInUiThread method

if
(!switcher.startActiveEditor(ActiveEditorSwitcher.ACTIVE_EDITOR_SOURCE)) {
            return;
        }

switcher.startActiveEditor(ActiveEditorSwitcher.ACTIVE_EDITOR_SOURCE)
returns false and this method isn't executed.
Editing in the source tab is fast what was confirmed by the user in
http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBDS-259 (see Note 2).

However, I still think that Link/Unlink makes sense because switching
requires 2 clicks (switching to the visual part and returning to the
source part). Except that, when using the Link
action, the user can see the source and visual part at the same time.
Switch from the source to the visual part rebuilds dom every time (even
if we didn't edit anything).
I think that the implementation of this feature is very simple.

Snjeza