[jbosstools-dev] Please Advise: jst server adapters in exadel code

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri May 9 01:28:07 EDT 2008

> The following projects exist in our codebase.  They all use the Generic
> Server adapter.
>
> org.jboss.tools.jst.server.jboss
> org.jboss.tools.jst.server.jetty
> org.jboss.tools.jst.server.jrun
> org.jboss.tools.jst.server.resin
>
> At the very least, I recommend that the jboss adapter be removed from
> our SVN.

How many of these do we actually use in our build ?!

> The only suggestion I'd have is to unify all of them into one plugin in
> the "AS" module,
> rather than keep them bundled in the "jst" module bundled with jst.web
> and jst.jsp.

Does anyone know if they are actually still relevant ? I recall them as being
"disabled" on purpose since they were outofdate...Denis/Alexey do you know ?

> I also suggest that org.jboss.tools.jst.firstrun move to the "as" module
> as well,
> though I'm not quite as sure about this.

You mean the "auto-configuration" code of AS, datasources etc. ? I think this
needs cleaning up and some of it needs to be seperated out.

We might also want to introduce the concept of EAP "runtimes" instead of just having
individual configurations of it (datasource, as, seam etc.)

> Finally, if no one else has any problem with this, I also think moving the
> "start server" / "stop server" tool button into the as.ui plugin...
> though the
> effects of that will need to be looked into since it's mixed in with the
> org.jboss.tools.jst.web plugin.

I don't see any big problems with this if you are ok of being "generic" AS module and not
just JBoss AS...but yes needs investigation on how much coupling it has to the rest.

-max