[jbosstools-dev] Sample projects

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Thu Sep 25 03:19:04 EDT 2008

Exactly - JBoss 4.2.x partially supports JEE 5 and thus we end up having
to allow these combinations.

btw. not allowing invalid combinations of things is something that will
annoy alot of users trying to use new things - if we should do anything
it would be show a warning in wizards....BUT that would also be bad since
all the Seam 2 functionallity would then get a Warning that is unwarrented.

/max

> Mike,
>
> We can't use the Servlet 2.4 specification because JSF facet 1.2 and
> Seam facet 1.2/2.0 require the Servlet 2.5 specification (Dynamic Web
> Module 2.5).
> These sample projects don't use multiple <url-pattern> definitions
> within a single <servlet-mapping> or <filter-mapping> and can be
> deployed on JBoss 4.2.x server.
>
> Regards,
> Snjeza
>
> Mike Millson wrote:
>> Hi Snjeza,
>>
>> JBoss 4.2.x and 4.3.x only officially support Servlet 2.4[1], even
>> though Tomcat 6 does[2]. There are issues with some of the Servlet 2.5
>> functionality on JBoss 4.2.x and 4.3.x[3]. JBoss 5 will support Servlet
>> 2.5.
>>
>> So I think the web.xml schemas should be Servlet 2.4, not Servlet 2.5.
>> In fact, maybe the wizard should be smart enough not to allow invalid
>> Target Runtime + Dynamic Web Module version combinations?
>>
>> [1]http://www.jboss.com/products/platforms/application/standards
>> [2]http://tomcat.apache.org/
>> [3]https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBWEB-120
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Mike
>>
>> Snjezana Peco wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have uploaded sample projects for portlets to
>>> https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbosstools/workspace/snjeza/portlet-examples.
>>> These are the prerequisites :
>>> JBoss Portal : http://www.jboss.org/jbossportal/download/index.html
>>> (choose JBoss Portal + JBoss AS 4.2.3 - version 2.7.0.CR1)
>>> JBoss Portlet Bridge : http://www.jboss.org/portletbridge/download
>>> (choose 1.0.0B4 binaries)
>>>
>>> As to the birt project, since it is too big, I have uploaded only the
>>> WebContent directory.
>>>
>>> The prerequisites :
>>> MySQL 5.0
>>> BIRT Report Designer -
>>> http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/birt/downloads/drops/R-R1-2_3_0-200806191030/birt-report-framework-2_3_0.zip
>>> BIRT Web Tools Integration
>>> http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/birt/downloads/drops/R-R1-2_3_0-200806191030/birt-wtp-integration-sdk-2_3_0.zip
>>> You can create a project in the following way:
>>>
>>> 1) create MySQL classicmodel database using the following command :
>>> mysql -u<user> -p<password> <ClassicModel.sql
>>> The ClassicModel.sql file is placed in workspace/snjeza/birt-examples
>>> 2) start the New Seam Project wizard
>>> 3) add the BIRT Reporting Runtime Component facet
>>> 4) create a Seam war project named TestBirt with a connection to the
>>> classicmodel database (created in step #1)
>>> 5) execute the Seam Generate Entities wizard
>>> 6) import TestBirtWebContent.zip into the WebContent directory
>>> 7) deploy the project on a JBoss server
>>>
>>> The TestBirtWebContent.zip and ClassicModel.sql files are placed on
>>> https://svn.jboss.org/repos/jbosstools/workspace/snjeza/birt-examples.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Snjeza