[jbosstools-dev] Cluster Feature Collecting

Rob Stryker rob.stryker at redhat.com
Fri Apr 3 19:26:08 EDT 2009

Robb Greathouse wrote:
> I run into three big (Fortune 50) clients that want to cluster across data centers.  Not saying it is a good idea, just saying.

To be clear, I'm talking only about tooling here. I'm not thinking about
pushing use cases to the runtime or anything like that, but simply
asking tool users how they currently use clustering, and how they'd like
cluster-interaction inside eclipse to function.

What deployment options should be supported? If I set up 5 local AS
instances, for example, do I need to deploy to all 5 or just one? Do
they copy to each other?

At development time, are most clusters on the same machine? Are they
remote? Are they local? Do you develop on a local cluster and then just
deploy it to the remote one later? For remote ones, how do you deploy?
FTP? SCP? Should remote deployment options be included? Should remote
deployment occur after every change, or only on command? Do you deploy
to one remote machine or all 5 nodes?

If you only need to deploy to one server, then the view can include just
one "wrapper" type server, whereas if you have to deploy to each of them
separately, they're probably better off modeled as individual servers
then grouped under a cluster node.