[jbosstools-dev] More i18n questions

Sean Flanigan sflaniga at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 20:05:16 EDT 2009

On 01/07/09 17:41, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> My good friend dart once demonstrated for me that now in java you can
>> actually use chinese / japanese characters in class and method names
>> also.
> Yes, Java support UTF-8 in their Java lang spec - one of their selling
> points when it came out, which luckily did not catch on too much.
> I did have to do a consultancy gig once where they used Portuguese words
> and accents in the code....veery hard to debug :)

Yeah, I think you can start a Java identifier with almost any character
on the planet... except ASCII punctuation and the "arabic" digits 0-9.
I think all the other Unicode digits are fine:
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~hlibcat/documents/246.html

> On the subject of translating code generated comments then I would say
> we shouldn't, it is simply too much work and we risk the examples
> to go out of sync. It is more important that the code example runs/works
> than its comments are in a localized language.

Yeah, that's my feeling too.  I just wanted to make sure to have the
discussion, since there are pro's and con's.

--
Sean Flanigan

Senior Software Engineer
Engineering - Internationalisation