[jbosstools-dev] More i18n questions

Dmitry Geraskov dgeraskov at exadel.com
Thu Jul 2 06:24:36 EDT 2009

Sean Flanigan wrote:
> On 01/07/09 17:41, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>>> My good friend dart once demonstrated for me that now in java you can
>>> actually use chinese / japanese characters in class and method names
>>> also.
>> Yes, Java support UTF-8 in their Java lang spec - one of their selling
>> points when it came out, which luckily did not catch on too much.
>> I did have to do a consultancy gig once where they used Portuguese words
>> and accents in the code....veery hard to debug :)
>
> Yeah, I think you can start a Java identifier with almost any
> character on the planet... except ASCII punctuation and the "arabic"
> digits 0-9. I think all the other Unicode digits are fine:
> http://www2.hawaii.edu/~hlibcat/documents/246.html
Even more, following code will work fine:

public class Test {
        int \u006d\u0079\u0056\u0061\u0072 = 1; /*int myVar = 1;
\u002a\u002f
        System.out.println(myVar);
    }
}

You should take this into account when you parse code. User could close
comment by unicode representation.
Eclipse colouring doesn't take it into account.

--
Best regards,

 Dmitry Geraskov
 dgeraskov at exadel.com