[jbosstools-dev] Re: weekly status

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Thu Jul 2 11:14:05 EDT 2009

> why GenerateEntitiesWizard -> performFinish ->
> wc.setAttribute("hibernate.dialect",
> "org.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQLDialect")?
>
> why we setup org.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQLDialect by default? it
> look like some error... Dima create JBIDE-4555.

yeah that sounds weird - doesn't make sense.

> Max, why ConsoleConfiguration -> localCfg.setProperty(
> "hibernate.temp.use_jdbc_metadata_defaults", "false" ); - is false not
> a true?
>
> Is the reason the same - autoConfigureDialect is commented:
>
> //autoConfigureDialect(localCfg); Disabled for now since it causes
> very looong timeouts for non-running databases + i havent been needed
> until now...
>
> autoConfigureDialect

yes - a non-started database causes the whole ui to hang.

> So why GenerateEntitiesWizard -> performFinish ->
> wc.setAttribute("hibernate.temp.use_jdbc_metadata_defaults", true);
>
> Do you know some other way  - to check non-running database quickly
> without getConnection?

look at the datbase url, driverclass and look at the info in DTP data or
if that is not enough ask the user for the db,

> It is possible to enhance SettingsFactory -> buildSettings here:
>
> è if ( useJdbcMetadata ) {
>
> it is possible to cache databaseName & databaseMajorVersion to read it
> only once...

No, what should it based the cache on ?

Not a job for hibernate core to keep track of.