[jbosstools-dev] Cleaning up manifest.mf's

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Jul 7 06:10:54 EDT 2009

> Maybe we are talking about two different things, because I don't
> understand how you can svn update/merge workspace settings.  I'm not
> talking about files which are versioned/committed.  Are you?
I was just talking about per project settings.
>> Well I think Eclipse is really bad at this scenario - they should have
>> named settings that could be saved in a project and then others can
>> refer to them IMO.
>
> So, a bit like the .settings directory, but with an option to override
> it per-user?  Or something else, like inheritance of settings between
> projects?  That would certainly be useful.
Yes - allow you to say "Use same settings as project XYZ" ...would
actually be really useful to incorporate that into the preferences model
of eclipse.
> I'm beginning to understand why Maven-based projects don't believe in
> versioning IDE files, but insist on generating them from the pom
> (which does allow inheritance).  It's a shame Maven and PDE Builder
> don't get along.
yup - m2eclipse guys are working on Tycho which allows to use maven to
build Plugins purely based on manifest.mf but it still only experimental
(they build m2eclipse with it, but haven't tried on jbosstools sized
projects yet ;)
>>> It looks like Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment really only controls
>>> the runtime requirements (as the name implies), not the compiler
>>> settings.  You can tick a box when enabling project-specific settings
>>> to get the compiler settings from the Build Path/BREE, but this choice
>>> gets recorded in, you guessed it, .settings.
>> hmm - don't tell me this now ;) How can they be so....wrong...
>
> Well, it is in the name of the manifest property...
Well, it should be the default to use the exec-environment if set.
> Yes, I only just realized that I was on a different VM from everyone
> else.  But as I understand it, nothing in .settings affects real
> Hudson/PDEBuilder builds (and what the users get), only compilation in
> the local IDE.  But there was a danger that I could introduce a
> 1.6-ism which would break the build.
>
> I think PDEBuilder just gets all its compiler settings from
> build.properties, ignoring .settings.
yes, so we should just find a way to get PDEBuilder to pick up a file
with the .settings format so we could "share" it.