[jbosstools-dev] Cleaning up manifest.mf's

Sean Flanigan sflaniga at redhat.com
Tue Jul 7 21:12:37 EDT 2009

On 07/07/09 20:10, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> Yes - allow you to say "Use same settings as project XYZ" ...would
> actually be really useful to incorporate that into the preferences model
> of eclipse.

Oh, that's what you meant.  That does sound like a nice option:
inheriting workspace settings from a specified project.  But in
practice, I wouldn't like projects to depend on this, since the
workspace settings are basically global variables.  Inheriting settings
between projects seems safer.  Having both options would be great.

It's always been a little too easy to make environment-dependent
projects in Eclipse, which is probably why there are projects which
disallow .project/.classpath files (and not just Maven projects).  I
thought plugin-based projects were supposed to improve on that, but they
don't seem to be there yet.

But what would programming be, if we didn't have the option of shooting
ourselves in the foot?

> yup - m2eclipse guys are working on Tycho which allows to use maven to
> build Plugins purely based on manifest.mf but it still only experimental
> (they build m2eclipse with it, but haven't tried on jbosstools sized
> projects yet ;)

Sounds fun.  For some value of fun.

>> Well, it is in the name of the manifest property...
> Well, it should be the default to use the exec-environment if set.

True.  But that would violate the foot-shooting principle. ;-)

>> I think PDEBuilder just gets all its compiler settings from
>> build.properties, ignoring .settings.
> yes, so we should just find a way to get PDEBuilder to pick up a file
> with the .settings format so we could "share" it.

More consistency would be nice.

--
Sean Flanigan

Senior Software Engineer