[jbosstools-dev] How old is ESB project?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 16:14:40 EDT 2009

> > But isn't this opposite to how everything else works in WTP
> currently, right ? Or?
>
> Yes it's opposite, because when I suggested doing it the same way 6
> months ago you said something like "Why would you do it the same way
> when their way is obviously broken?"
> Regardless, I've been trying to discuss with THEM to make THEM change
> their projects so that it actually maps the desired folder. Discussion
> is ongoing for their projects, but I was asking about ours.
yes, I understand that.

> > That has nothing to do with age - no matter if it was in JBDS or
> just jbt it was released into a GA release long time ago (both JBT and
> JBDS).
>
> If the ESB project is 1 month old, then it has not been released into
> a GA ;)
eh - ESB project is more than a month old, see
http://docs.jboss.org/tools/whatsnew/esb/esb-news-1.0.0.GA-full.html
which is for the 3.0.0.GA which were released 17th March 2009.
But the first version of it actually goes all the way back to Beta1 -
October 2008.
> However... this is the stuff that's getting me really annoyed. We
> always squeeze stuff into GA's when they're not even designed, and
> then we're stuck with them for good. I really really dislike that. I
> wonder why we do it so much.
Rob - this specific feature were spec'ed out to be so it worked as WTP
does it so we would be sure it would work (equally bad/well). If that
was not done then its up to the dev(s) working on it to speak up and say
"heeey! This won't work!". That have happend on occasion and then we
have pulled it from a release. If you think stuff is missing, then speak
up - but be specific (as you are in this email)

> > Your suggestion is how it should work even for components.xml in old
> versions of WTP, right ?
>
> Not sure what you mean. I'm saying when you look at a components.xml
> file, and you see a mapping from src to /some/folder, you would expect
> to see *source* files in /some/folder, but if you map bin to
> /some/folder, you would expect to see class files in that folder.
>
> The way WTP does it now is that if the folder in the "source path" is
> a source type folder, then it instead finds that path's associated
> output folder and uses that instead. This essentially forbids a user
> from making a jar that actually includes the source files, and it also
> makes the deployable objects / modules / factories much much more
> complicated and error prone.
you are saying remove the old line and add in the new one! Will both
lines work in WTP today ?

i.e. is it just a matter of changing the new XYZ wizard and then the new
projects will be better and the old one continues to work ?

Or are you saying lets stop supporting the old lines in components.xml,
meaning our projects won't work with any modulefactories/server adapters
than ours ?

i.e. as far as I understand what you are suggesting doesn't break
anything (just changes how new projects are defined), but you write as
if it will break stuff ?

-max