[jbosstools-dev] How old is ESB project?

Rob Stryker rob.stryker at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 16:44:58 EDT 2009

 > But isn't this opposite to how everything else works in WTP
currently, right ? Or?

Yes it's opposite, because when I suggested doing it the same way 6
months ago you said something like "Why would you do it the same way
when their way is obviously broken?"  Regardless, I've been trying to
discuss with THEM to make THEM change their projects so that it actually
maps the desired folder. Discussion is ongoing for their projects, but I
was asking about ours.

 > That has nothing to do with age - no matter if it was in JBDS or just
jbt it was released into a GA release long time ago (both JBT and JBDS).

If the ESB project is 1 month old, then it has not been released into a
GA ;)  However... this is the stuff that's getting me really annoyed. We
always squeeze stuff into GA's when they're not even designed, and then
we're stuck with them for good. I really really dislike that. I wonder
why we do it so much.

 > Your suggestion is how it should work even for components.xml in old
versions of WTP, right ?

Not sure what you mean. I'm saying when you look at a components.xml
file, and you see a mapping from src to /some/folder, you would expect
to see *source* files in /some/folder, but if you map bin to
/some/folder, you would expect to see class files in that folder.

The way WTP does it now is that if the folder in the "source path" is a
source type folder, then it instead finds that path's associated output
folder and uses that instead. This essentially forbids a user from
making a jar that actually includes the source files, and it also makes
the deployable objects / modules / factories much much more complicated
and error prone.