[jbosstools-dev] Re: Cluster Feature Collecting

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon May 18 04:17:01 EDT 2009

> Command line:
> - cd AS_HOME/EAP_HOME (assume: EAP 4.3.0.GA)
> - cp -r server/all server/xyz1
> - cp -r server/all server/xyz2
This feature is now in nightly build afaik

see https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE-3896

Feedback welcome.

> Open JBDS:
> - Create a new runtime and server for xyz1, give it a name:
> eap-4.3.0.ga-xyz1 and add bind address localhost2
> - Create a new runtime and server for xyz2 and give it a name:
> eap-4.3.0.ga-xyz2, add bind address localhost3 and give it a different
> JBoss Messaging server Id.

I assume you have setup localhost2, localhost3, ... in your OS hosts setup ?

> - Deploy your apps in xyz1 and xyz3
>
> As you can see, if you wanna create a simple cluster for testing, it
> takes a fair few clicks and operations to get it done.

> I envision eventually having some wizard or GUI window from where you
> could basically do all this in one go:
>
> - Select EAP/AS home.
> - Select number of configs to cluster, i.e. 2
> - Give names to these X number of configs:
> - Give bind addresses (or select service binding port configs) for
> each config.
The lower parts support all of the above now (just no unified ui).

> - Optionally give some special system properties to each, i.e. JBoss
> Messaging server id.
examples ?
> - What deployments go in each server.
Do you mean the deployments will be different ?

> Underneath, this would do what I know have to do manually.
>
> Thoughts?
I actually think we should add the core level flexibility for clustering
before doing the full wizard. Not sure though.

What i'm seeing missing is a way to "group" servers in the view and for
operations.

i.e. I think it would be interesting to see if we can utilize the
"working set" concept that exists for resources in eclipse to servers.
Such a "Server working set" is a way to "tag" servers (multiple servers
can be in multiple groups) and it is something that you
can do operations on. i.e. "Start" on a working set will start all
servers in there, "Deploy" on a working set will deploy the chosen
project to all servers
in that working set. etc.

WDYT ?

-max