[jbosstools-dev] Current WTP-style project offerings

Rob Stryker rob.stryker at redhat.com
Mon Sep 28 19:58:18 EDT 2009

Here's a good summary of what's made already for the WTP projects. I
believe the ESB project already makes use of it. The BPEL project does
*not* and since I am not familiar with the BPEL project code, or all
that goes into creating a new project wizard for WTP projects (never did
work on that part), I'd need someone else (Denny?) to set up the UI and
associated pages and installation delegates to properly change the BPEL
project's format. I can assist on which references would be needed in
the installation delegate, but I'm not familiar with the rest of it.

I sincerely doubt I've replicated all possible types of reference
containers already. So far I have two, output containers for a project,
and class folders on your build path which also contain a custom WTP
attribute flag. These were both primary use cases in WTP. I would love
for people to test to see what other differences there are or which
reference types could be missing (any functionality possible in WTP and
not in our ESB project for example).

I do know that one thing I do not have support for yet is the use case
that's currently custom to Web project's interactions when bundled
inside an EAR, which is to push up the Web project's libraries to live
inside the parent module rather than inside the web project.  I haven't
added this functionality yet because I've not heard whether similar
functionality is required for ESB projects or other module-types which
can serve as parents to nested wars (or others).  If this turns out to
be an important use case I can try to address it, but for now if ESB
doesn't require this functionality than it's not necessary I don't believe.

http://www.jboss.org/community/wiki/JBossToolsWTPProjectStructures