[jbosstools-dev] Current WTP-style project offerings

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Sep 29 05:04:21 EDT 2009

> Here's a good summary of what's made already for the WTP projects. I
> believe the ESB project already makes use of it.
Denny, Is the ESB module using this now ?
> The BPEL project does
> *not* and since I am not familiar with the BPEL project code, or all
> that goes into creating a new project wizard for WTP projects (never did
> work on that part), I'd need someone else (Denny?) to set up the UI and
> associated pages and installation delegates to properly change the BPEL
> project's format. I can assist on which references would be needed in
> the installation delegate, but I'm not familiar with the rest of it.

This require we defines what facet's etc. is installed and what they do
for BPEL.
Denny - could you outline this in the wiki ?

> I sincerely doubt I've replicated all possible types of reference
> containers already. So far I have two, output containers for a project,
> and class folders on your build path which also contain a custom WTP
> attribute flag.
What are these ? And is class folders the only thing that can have a
flag ? What about jar's ?
> These were both primary use cases in WTP. I would love
> for people to test to see what other differences there are or which
> reference types could be missing (any functionality possible in WTP and
> not in our ESB project for example).
>

> I do know that one thing I do not have support for yet is the use case
> that's currently custom to Web project's interactions when bundled
> inside an EAR, which is to push up the Web project's libraries to live
> inside the parent module rather than inside the web project.  I haven't
> added this functionality yet because I've not heard whether similar
> functionality is required for ESB projects or other module-types which
> can serve as parents to nested wars (or others).  If this turns out to
> be an important use case I can try to address it, but for now if ESB
> doesn't require this functionality than it's not necessary I don't believe.

Since ESB can contains WAR's (afaik, please check with ESB runtime team
how the semantics are for this)
then this sounds like something that would be relevant to support - or
at least figure out if it is doable to support ?

> http://www.jboss.org/community/wiki/JBossToolsWTPProjectStructures

I'm missing how all this text actually looks like in components.xml, and
what are the extensions we have *added* ? i.e.
how do they actually look (syntax) and what is the behavior (i.e. what
flag is set on what to make the thing be exported ?)