[jbosstools-dev] AS 7 now seem to provide a stable Java API YAY!

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri Apr 1 01:20:41 EDT 2011

Andre/Rob,

From this night irc chat (yes - my jetlag woke me up after 2 hrs sleep ...):

controller-client in AS 7 seem to have small dependency set and according to Brian - it will be portable/work across versions.
Worth then taking a look at it ...but be careful - might be worth it ensuring its encapsulated so if incompatibilities arises we aren't
too screwed.

This means you actually can use a somewhat typed API to talk to AS7 (hopefully EAP 6) and get a fully typed deployment api.

See details below.

maxandersen
Nihility: bstansberry: btw. i'm still confused on what compatibility level  the java api will have ? when we talked at devoxx I understood as the java api would have same problems as older AS's (i.e. I would need to compile/run against the matching runtime jars to get it to work) …is that no longer true ?
06:32
bstansberry
that is no longer true
06:32
smcgowan
nihility:  the tests are running locally but won't be able to run in Hudson till I can resolve lookups to jdbc/DB1
06:33
jclingan [~Adium at 72-254-61-94.client.stsn.net] entered the room.
06:34
bstansberry
maxandersen: the library we use for the "detyped"  request and response objects will remain compatible. the wire protocol will remain compatible. the simple API to make requests will remain compatible
06:35
maxandersen
and this is something more than dmr, correct ?
06:35smarlow	communication breakdown
smarlow	The call to the JIRA server did not complete within the timeout period. We are unsure of the result of this operation.
06:36
maxandersen
bstansberry: any way to know which API will remain "highly" compatible ? some specific jar or java package ?
06:36
bstansberry
the simple API? it's the controller-client module in the AS source tree
that's really the API, then it's maven deps
right now it's depending on another AS module jboss-as-protocol for the transport stuff, but that will be replaced in a later beta with something long-term
06:39
maxandersen
bstansberry: thats *great* news...
so this api currently seem to cover "raw" domain model operations and hten some specific api for deployment… correct?
bstansberry: will that include more before final or is that the basic goal ?
06:41
bstansberry
I don't want to go much beyond that
06:41
maxandersen
bstansberry: but thats great then
bstansberry: that simplifies things a lot for us then...
bstansberry: at least I hope so