[jbosstools-dev] Git - do it fully or not ?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 15:19:22 EST 2011

On Feb 28, 2011, at 20:26, Gary Brown wrote:

> +1 for switching to git.
>
> Although there may be one slight build issue for Nick when dealing with the external modules (e.g. pi4soa, savara, etc). Currently the svn based hudson jobs check out a jbosstools build structure and then the project module to be built - in separate sub-folders. The build structure contains some publish scripts.
>
> Although the git part of the hudson job configuration allows multiple repositories to be specified, it only defines a 'Local subdirectory for repo (optional)' attribute for the git section as a whole, not per repository.
>
> So currently it attempts to fetch all of the git repositories into the same location in the workspace - which does not seem to work.

Well this problem already exist today with "pure svn" ...

But I was actually thinking that the hudson integration jobs would be done by a git repo that has the its 1 or more related repos as a git submodule.

That would make it work I think plus we get stability (i.e. it doesn't move automatically on every change unless we want to) plus we get a versioned repo of the actual build setup.

WDYT ?

note - for jbosstools what I see happening is that we start by simply using a copy of svn repo into one big git repo and then over time move each "module" out into its own git repo (the challenge is to define what module or set of modules goes into a repo)

/max