[jbosstools-dev] Git - do it fully or not ?

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Mon Mar 7 11:59:27 EST 2011

That said the new TP and parent pom for 3.3.indigo branch is simplified
in that all the deps from upstream (eclipse.org, sonatype, google) are
now mirrored on dl.jboss.org in a single composite repo [1], and we'll
have a second composite for the components as they're built (as we do
for 3.2) [2].

This means you can - *in theory* - build the parent pom (and target
platform) [3] or grab it from Nexus [4] (if we decide to keep deploying
stuff there?), check out a component's sources from github, and build
that component against upstream eclipse deps + upstream previously-built
JBT components.

In other words... I think moving to github, one component at a time, MAY
BE VIABLE, but there's still a lot of testing left to do to validate
this theory.

[1] http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/updates/indigo/
[2]
http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/_composite_/3.3.indigo/
[3] http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbosstools/branches/3.3.indigo/build/
[4] http://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/groups/public/org/jboss/tools/

>> +1 for git.
>>
>> Work with svn is very slow and disk-consuming and I have still issues 'svn
>> up', it still needs cleanup, or refuses to update. I started to hate svn,
>> please unschackle me :-)
>
> Btw. Nick and I had a chat the other day about what actually prevent us from moving and
> if it was just a question about git vs svn then we could easily move (assuming windows users
> are fine with using bash/cygwin)
>
> The challenge is that hudson+git is not as flexible as it currently is with svn and we don't yet
> have a good use of having our builds pick up latest/matching dependencies from a repository -
> thus not trivial to move away from git fully :(
>
> Will require a lot of effort.
>
> /max
>

>> Libor
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:54:34 +0100, Max Rydahl Andersen
>> <max.andersen at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> We got our svn mirror now but after working with it a bit its basically
>>> just as slow as normal svn (if you can get it to work).
>>>
>>> ...thus i'm wondering if anyone can come up with good reasons to *not*
>>> just move all new development over to git and simply kill off
>>> the SVN completely for our jbosstools trunk development ?
>>>
>>> 3.2.x would stay in SVN.
>>>
>>> Comments/Suggestions/Screams/Objections ?
>>>
>>> /max
>>> http://about.me/maxandersen

> http://about.me/maxandersen

Release Engineer :: Eclipse Modeling & Dash Athena