[jbosstools-dev] Why can't we use the root pom.xml to just build from ?

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Fri Mar 11 15:53:31 EST 2011

Parent pom & target platform pom must be built BEFORE you can build
against a defined target platform. That's just the way the .target
association in maven/tycho works. If you want to figure out another way,
be my guest. :)

If you just want to build against a defined target platform UPDATE SITE
(but not filter it by the .target file as well), then perhaps we could
retool this so that parent pom could be built at the same time as
whatever component needs it.

This would require that we guarantee that the contents of the target
platform update site are always a single version of included deps, and
that we always want the latest in that site should there ever be more
than one version (like w/ javax.wsdl, which could be 1.5.1 or 1.6.2).

Oh, and FWIW, you have to bootstrap the parent pom ONCE. Then you can
build everything else downstream ad nauseum and iteratively. You don't
need to rebuild the parent every time.

Was that not clear in my latest HOWTO? OK, I'll highlight it further.

http://community.jboss.org/wiki/HowtoBuildJBossToolswithMaven3

> See $subject ?
>
> all that about remembering to do mvn -f ../../../build/parent.pom ...why is that there?
>
> Why not just:
>
> cd jbosstools
> mvn install
>
> and cd jbosstools/hibernatetools
> mvn install
>
> I honestly can't remember why we cant do the above ?
>

> /max
> http://about.me/maxandersen

Release Engineer :: Eclipse Modeling & Dash Athena