[jbosstools-dev] Why can't we use the root pom.xml to just build from ?

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Mon Mar 14 06:28:17 EDT 2011

On Mar 11, 2011, at 21:53, Nick Boldt wrote:

> Parent pom & target platform pom must be built BEFORE you can build
> against a defined target platform. That's just the way the .target
> association in maven/tycho works. If you want to figure out another way,
> be my guest. :)

Parent pom's does not need to be build first if proper referenced.

Target platform pom's should be released to nexus as snapshots and you would be fine too there.
And target platforms could be good citizens and actually change version number when their
content changes (or at least at every non-continous build, aka Milestone release)! Otherwise how do you reproduce the builds ?!

> If you just want to build against a defined target platform UPDATE SITE
> (but not filter it by the .target file as well), then perhaps we could
> retool this so that parent pom could be built at the same time as
> whatever component needs it.

My point is that if there were proper pointers to the parent pom...then you wouldn't need this.

> This would require that we guarantee that the contents of the target
> platform update site are always a single version of included deps, and
> that we always want the latest in that site should there ever be more
> than one version (like w/ javax.wsdl, which could be 1.5.1 or 1.6.2).

Just have a (somewhat) stable release stream of target platforms defined and all this goes away IMO.

> Oh, and FWIW, you have to bootstrap the parent pom ONCE. Then you can
> build everything else downstream ad nauseum and iteratively. You don't
> need to rebuild the parent every time.

Again, parent pom's really should not need to be built this often..no other maven project I've seen require this way of working.
(unless things are changing constantly)

/max